Applying An Archetype Personality to Your Brand

If you missed last weeks blog post, I broke down what archetypes are, why we love them and why you should be using them in your branding.

This week, I’m going to break down how to identify the right archetype for you and how to apply your primary and influencer archetype to your brand.


Before we begin...

If you haven’t yet, take our free Brand Archetype quiz {linked here} to identify your top 3 archetypes. This quiz will take you through a series of questions to understand your personality, your motivations and how you show up as your best self for your clients.

Once you have identified your primary archetypes, how do you choose the best one for your brand?

Your primary archetype should be the one you score the highest in and your influencer should be one of the remaining two. I suggest that you don’t apply more than 2 archetypes: a primary and an influencer, so that you can keep a clear and defined brand personality. Your primary archetype should embody at least 70% of your brand's personality with the remaining 30% represented by your influencer archetype.


But before you commit to an archetype, consider this...


After taking our archetype quiz, sometimes the results can be crystal clear, like you are 90% one type, 10% one type and 0% any of the rest.

But sometimes, people may get a 33% split, and then what? One thing to understand is that archetypes embody basic human core values, so it's very possible that we can identify with more than 2 of them. If you think about all of the different facets of your life, at some point, you could have related to or embodied a majority of them, however if you tried to be all of them your brand would come across as confused and inconsistent.


And... just because you may have scored higher on one archetype over another, doesn't mean that is the archetype you have to embody.


You ultimately have the power to choose what archetype your brand will embody.


Although I would suggest sticking to the two you naturally gravitate towards, you need to be able to embody the archetypes so that your brand feels authentic.


To narrow in on and embody the right archetypes for you, consider these 4 areas to determine the best two for you and your brand.

  1. RESEARCH EACH ARCHETYPE. Learn more about each of the 12 archetypes, what they stand for, what their core values are, what their core message is, what motivates and inspires them. When you understand each of the archetypes and who they are at their core, you can not only better understand which is best for your brand, you can better understand how to apply that archetype to your brand in an authentic way.

  2. OBSERVE YOUR INTERNAL REACTION TO EACH ARCHETYPE. What is your first gut reaction to each of the archetypes you scored highest on? Do you feel like they totally make sense or do you feel a sense of rejection to your results?

  3. ANALYZE YOUR ARCHETYP IN YOUR NICHE. How would your archetype fit in to your industry? Does it make sense? Does it have the core values and the personality to capture the right audience. On the flip side, maybe it's not the obvious choice for your industry, but is there a way that you can use your archetype to set your brand apart from the crowd in a new and authentic way?

  4. DECIDE WHICH BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR BRAND. If you are trying to be everything to everyone, you're diluting your message. It's important to decide what your primary and influencer archetypes are and embody them. Narrowing in on your two main archetypes and truly encompassing every bit of who they are to their core will help you to create a brand that captivates and connects with your audience in a more authentic and sustainable way.

So, now that you have your primary archetype, how do you choose and use your influencer archetype?

If you've taken our Brand Personality Quiz, you would have received 3 archetypes that you scored the highest on. When working with clients, I always suggest focusing in on two brand archetypes (no more) made up of your primary archetype and your influencer or secondary archetype. While your primary archetype should represent roughly 75% of your brand, the other 25% of your brand's personality should be represented by 1 additional influencer archetype. Depending on the industry, your primary may align with your industry archetype (for instance, the caregiver archetype for a medical or non-profit organization), while your secondary archetype can be used to differentiate from the crowd.


The beauty of an archetypal mix is that it gives us 144 different archetypal options to choose from, allowing our brands to truly be unique and stand apart from the crowd.


Now that you have a clear idea of your primary & influencer archetype, how do you apply them to your brand?


Now that you have taken the quiz and identified your primary and influencer archetypes, you need to start studying and understanding who they are, what they stand for and represent, how they think, feel and do life.

You need to embody them.


In order to apply an archetype to your brand, you need to first understand that as archetypes represent personalities, they must represent both your brand and your customers.


The trick is two-fold. Not only do you want to appeal to your ideal customers and solve their pain points or what they are pining for, you also want your brand to embody these personalities so that you what you are saying, standing for and selling feels authentic.


Let me be clear here, archetypes aren't about appealing to everyone, they are about appealing the right ones..


Aligning your brand to a primary archetype will allow your brand personality to feel familiar to your audience and allow you to communicate with consistency and feel like a living, breathing human they are doing life with.


Over the next several weeks, I will be breaking down each individual archetype: their personalities, why we love them and how to apply them to your brand. Make sure to click the subscribe button and join our email list to get notified each and every time a new post drops.


WANT TO DOWNLOAD OUR BRAND ARCHETYPE INSPIRATION GUIDES TO GET STARTED? {CLICK HERE} TO DOWNLOAD A COPY!


11 views0 comments

Related Posts